Thursday, January 17, 2013

Soft Slab Canopic Jars

Canopic Jars are a great cross curricular lesson for students to learn about soft slab vessels and Egyptian art and customs as well, and a literary reference of symbolism.

For Canopic jars, I show students how to create soft slab vessels. The vessels will have lids. This is the lesson where I show students how to create lids with flanges, or what I call keyholes to keep the lid on. I also teach them the history and purpose of Canopic jars from Egypt. The students will look at symbolism of animals. I want them to choose an animal that might have attributes that they posses as well.

The animals on the lids can be made from pinch pots to start with ( reminding the students that there has to be a way for air to escape from the pinch pot).





No comments:

Post a Comment